About the Group

History

It can be said that Grupo Entreposto was born on February 2nd, 1926, with the establishment of the Sociedade Agrícola do Sena (Sena Agricultural Company), Lda in Mozambique, which became a limited company in 1938 named Companhia Nacional Algodoeira (National Cotton Company), S.A.R.L.

The territory of Manica and Sofala were then still being administered by the Companhia de Moçambique, with its semi-sovereign authority which, having been converted into a commercial company, began in 1942 to contribute to the birth of the first agricultural, industrial and commercial companies of what is now Grupo Entreposto.

That is how the Grupo Entreposto was really born in 1943, as a financial group, a growing cluster of companies with clear objectives, following shared policies:

- In 1943 the Companhia Nacional Algodoeira was restructured, incorporating the activities undertaken by the Companhia de Moçambique;

- In 1946 Moçambique Industrial was set up, to manufacture soaps and food oils;

- In 1947 the Entreposto Comercial de Moçambique was created to represent Mercedes-Benz, Peugeot and Massey-Ferguson;

- In 1955, Companhia Industrial do Monapo was launched, also to manufacture food oils and soaps;

- In 1964 the logging activities hitherto undertaken by the Companhia de Moçambique and Entreposto Comercial de Moçambique were grouped together under Moçambique Florestal;

- In 1969 the Companhia do Cajú do Monapo (Monapo Cashew Company) was set up, to shell cashew nuts.

In 1967 the Group decided to expand its operations to Portugal, creating the Entreposto Comercial - Veículos e Máquinas, dedicated to importing, assembling, distributing and retailing Nissan vehicles (then Datsun.)

The development of this company extended the Group's presence to other businesses in Portugal, namely importing and distributing agricultural and industrial machinery and induced investment in a new assembly line and associated metalwork, adding to Entreposto Industrial - Metalotécnica's asset base.

In 1973, the core of major shareholders would lead a movement that converted the Companhia de Moçambique into a holding company concentrating its shareholdings in Mozambican companies.

In 1974 and 1975, the Group's activities were diversified to Brazil and Spain based on the same group of shareholders.

In Brazil, in the state of Maranhão, after an initial industrial experience, Alpha -Máquinas e Veículos do Nordeste was created, a company that started by engaging in distribution and repairing Massey Ferguson agricultural machinery, and in time came to constitute a hub around which new businesses were formed.

In Spain, a controlling share was acquired in two food distribution companies operating in Madrid, Jumbo Comercial and Expresso Comercial.

In 1979, Entreposto - Gestão e Participações (SGPS) was constituted, at the time under the name Finantécnica - Gestão e Participações, which marked the beginning of the process of structuring the Group's entire business, via the gradual concentration of shareholdings by the common core of shareholders. Adopting the role of a holding company for several companies operating in Portugal, it has since then acted to strategically determine and coordinate the various businesses.

In 1984 the Group's activity in Portugal was refocused, leading it to reduce its industrial area and restructure and downsize Entreposto Comercial, giving rise to new companies specialized in importing and distributing agricultural and industrial machines - Entreposto Máquinas, in assembling and retail sales (the various companies in the automotive retail sector were created at this time). It was also in 1984 that imports and distribution of Subaru brand cars began.

In 1987, in Mozambique, the Group participated jointly with the Mozambican State in establishing Toyota de Moçambique (Toyota Mozambique), with equal participating interests (50%).

In 1989, Entreposto - Gestão Imobiliária (Real Estate Management) was formed, a company dedicated to better exploiting this business sector, initially confined to managing the Group's real estate assets.

In 1992, Grupo Entreposto expanded its activities to Portugal in the food distribution sector, acquiring a 41% share in Supa (Pão de Açucar), later increased to a majority share.

In 1996, a new strategic reorientation process began for traditional business areas, reflected in the sale of all shares in Pão de Açucar and in two companies that operated in close liaison with vehicle and machinery distribution businesses, Cargeste and Carloga. During this time, in 1996, the Group started importing and distributing Hyundai brand vehicles to Portugal, for which Entreposto VH was built.

Since 2000, Mozambique has been the scene of a profound restructuring of the local businesses, with the sale or cessation of most activities related to the industrial sector, and a greater emphasis placed on developing import and retail sales, private security (Alfa Segurança) and hunting tourism businesses.

Still in Mozambique, and in 2003, the Group acquired all the shares in the capital of Toyota Mozambique, a company asserting itself as a market leader.

In 2005, in Portugal, with Nissan vehicle imports moving to the Renault-Nissan alliance, the group began the systematic process of expanding its automotive retail business, with increased marketing of several brands in an integrated and multi-brand business perspective.

Grupo Entreposto now has a presence on four countries, in Portugal, Brazil, Mozambique and Timor, in sectors ranging from trade to industry, services and real estate.

In 2014, Entreposto VH (Hyundai import in Portugal) was disposed of.

As of 2015, the group’s activities in Mozambique were deeply restructured with import and retail being separated along with the creation of new companies for supporting this activity, such as E-Log - which is responsible for the operations of a Logistic Centre built by the group around Maputo -, E RP for administrative and financial support of Auto and Machinery.

In 2016, Entreposto Volvo Cars also initiated retail sales and import of Volvo vehicles in Mozambique.